Monday, February 7, 2011

Got the Call

Last Wednesday I got a call from the kidney coordinator at the hospital.  My initial blood typing yielded many possible matches for recipients that are actively on the list.  She didn't give me the exact number, but it was quite high.
What happens now? Well they are taking those possible matches and tissue typing our blood to see if and what type of antibodies a person might have.  They are looking for the best match between me and someone.  I am not going to be involved in choosing my recipient.  But I did express to the coordinator that if it comes down to a choice, that I would prefer it go to the person who is younger, and has desires to do things in life.
A friend asked me yesterday, are you sure that's really what you want to do?  What if the situation applied to your mom and she didn't receive her kidney based on the fact someone has said they wanted to donate to a younger person.  I looked my friend in the eye and said if that had happened with my mom, I would also have wanted that possible donation to go to someone who was younger and it would give them a chance to live a longer and fuller life.  Some people may think I am foolish about this, but I am secure in my decision.  I am thankful mom received her kidney.
I am not by any means trying to play God and choosing who I might be able to help.  But I would hope my kidney would go to someone who is a good person who deserves it.
Another person has expressed interest in talking me out of this, bringing up the fact what if someone else in you biological family or even the family of the donor ends up needing a kidney.  I found a great response to this in a blog entitles The Kidney Chronicles.  The author stated "I couldn't justify not saving a life today because it might inhibit my ability to possibly save one in the future. My wife has a spare kidney for them, and we both have loving families who may be willing to help if one of my kids is in need of a kidney. Moreover, neither my family nor my wife's has any history of kidney disease, obesity, or diabetes." 
I should be receiving another call come Tuesday.  

1 comment:

  1. I think that it is awesome that you've decided to donate your kidney to save someone's life. It is a very selfless act and a very difficult thing for one to decide. To make a decision like that takes a lot of courage and also a lot of love for your fellow man. I also feel that your decision to give it to someone who is young is a good decision. To give someone a chance to be able to live a long, healthy life is wonderful. You are truly an inspiration to other's to do whatever they can, big or small, to make a difference somewhere in the world. I look forward to reading your next post.

    ReplyDelete