Thursday, February 17, 2011

And So It Begins

I had 4 viles of blood drawn today for a compatibility test against a new potential recipient.  I asked the coordinator today if we had moved on, or this was the original person I was matched with.  She informed me that I was moved to the next person.
So what happens now?  Well this blood will be taken to the blood center and run against the potential recipient.  These test at best take 2 weeks.  But since I am very serious about donating, they are proceeding with my other tests required for my work up while we wait.  Tomorrow I have to go see the Dr to get annual woman check up.  Wednesday morning I start my 24 hour urine collection, and I turn that in on Thursday morning.  I will be at the hospital most of the day on Thursday for a battery of tests.  Including: but not limited to:
Renal CTA with arteries, veins and ureters, and 3D Construction.
24 TP
24 CREAT                 Not sure what these 3 things are
24 CREATCL
Chest X-Ray
EKG
Blood Tests for CBC, EP1, LIVP, PHOS, HBSAB, HBSAG, HBCAB. HCVAB, HIV, CMV, EBVPROF, SYPHILIS, FATS, PT, PTT

Not sure what all the blood tests stand for, but I will let you know on Thursday (next) how many viles they took.

3 comments:

  1. Elizabeth, I think what you are doing is great. I know that the process for donating a kidney must be hard and scary. The world needs more Elizabeth's. I hope that by sharing your experience from beginning to end, will help raise awareness and inform people more about your cause. What you are doing is selfless, and I hope that others will strive to be more like you. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more with Jakon. What you're doing is fantastic, and using your blog to promote it isn't going to just help raise awareness but could also help others doing the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jakon and Phebe. This is probably the most unselfish thing I have seen anyone do. You are not only raising awareness by blogging this but also answering many questions people may need answers to. Good luck to you and your recipient. I hope all goes well for you both and your mother also.

    ReplyDelete