Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Step #2

I received a Call about a week ago that I had matched a few different people on the donation list at the hospital that handled my mom's transplant.  They wanted to proceed with a certain one of those matches because I guess the possibility and health demographic matched the best.  During that call, the coordinator told me that the next step would be a blood draw from both myself and this person within 24 hours of each other, as to run a Cross Match.  This is a more in depth test to see if our blood type is compatible with the possible recipient.  But we had to wait at least 2 weeks and up to 6 possibly.  She said they would reevaluate within the week and let me know if they would proceed with this person or move me on to my next match.  From the conclusions I formed in my mind, and after gaining a bit of knowledge watching my mom go thru renal failure, that this person was currently NOT on the transplant list.  This could be due to illness or their initial workup still wasn't complete.  Sometimes when you go on the National Transplant List you get pulled off if you get sick, or too many factors add up against a successful transplant.
Well today I received another call (one week later, not two) saying that they were going to proceed with my work up and I need to come in for that blood draw.  I am not sure if they are keeping me with the same person or if they moved me on to the next person I match best.  I am not allowed to know anything about the possible recipient yet, or maybe ever.  I would want to meet them before surgery and see them again after.  But based on HIPAA personal information can not be released.  And in order to be able to know anything about the recipient or even meeting them, both parties would have to sign a consent form.
I am going tomorrow at 10am to get my blood drawn.  I will post another update sometime tomorrow about what goes on at the hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment